This recipe was shared to me by my eldest sister-in-law Jyothi (btw I have three altogether). She is a wonderful cook and when it comes to food both she and her mother-in-law can create magic with the delectable dishes that they prepare!
- 2 cups cabbage finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated coconut
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- cilantro/coriander for the garnish
- salt to taste
Heat oil in a large saucepan and fry the onions till golden brown.
Now add the ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell goes away.
Next add cabbage and all the dry spices (turmeric, chilli and garam masala powder) and salt and simmer for 2 minutes.
Add the rice and double the quantity of water and cook till the rice is done.
Stir in the grated coconut and garnish with cilantro. Turn of the stove.
Add the lemon juice and serve with preferred choice of raita ( yoghurt dip).