Doodhi with chana dal ( Bengal gram) is a combination of the wonder vegetable and lentils making it very nutritious and filling. It tastes great with chapattis and equally good with rice.
· Doodhi-1 medium
· Chana dal- 1 cup soaked in water for about an hour
· Chopped Tomatoes- 3 medium
· Cilantro/ Coriander for garnishing
· Green chillies-2
· Grated ginger- 2 teaspoons
· Chilli powder -1 teaspoon
· Turmeric (haldi) powder-1 teaspoon
· Coriander (dhania) powder- 1 teaspoon
· Cumin (jeera) powder- 1 teaspoon
· Garam masala powder- 1/2 teaspoon
· Amchur powder – ¼ teaspoon
· Chat masala- a pinch
· Curds- 2 teaspoons
· Mustard seeds- ½ teaspoon
· Cumin (jeera) seeds- ½ teaspoon
· Salt to taste
Cut the doodhi into small blocks. It is preferred to make this dish in a pressure cooker as it is faster. Alternatively you may use a frying pan/ non stick skillet/ wok / kadai.
Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add the mustard and cumin seeds. When the seeds start spluttering, add the tomatoes, grated ginger and green chillies. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, dhania powder, jeera powder, garam masala powder, amchur powder and chat masala. Mash the tomatoes nicely making a thick gravy adding water if required. Add the curds, chana dal, doodhi and salt. You may also use sour cream instead of curd. Add water enough to cover all the vegetables. Close the pressure cooker and cook for 3 whistles. If you are not using a pressure cooker, cook until the doodhi and chana dal are done. Garnish with coriander leaves.